FAQ applies to:
ezimerchant Professional version 4
ezimerchant Professional transfers your web site files to your web server using FTP (File Transfer Protocol) technology. FTP is an Internet standard for transferring files across the internet.
Before uploading your web site you must first tell ezimerchant Professional about your web hosting company.
Information you will need from your hosting company before you begin:
- FTP Host Name (usually something like ftp.yourdomain.com.au)
- Initial Directory (The remote directory that ezimerchant Professional should upload the files to - sometimes left blank)
- Web server username
- Web server password
Entering information about your hosting company:
Click the 'Publish' link as shown below...
Click the New Site button as demonstrated below...
The following screen will appear...
Enter the details as given by your web hosting company... The screen shot below gives you an example...
- The 'Label for Site' field is unimportant - Enter your site name in here for consistency.
- The 'Initial Directory' field may not need anything in it, consult your web hosting company.
Once you have entered the relevant details click the 'OK' button. The following screen will be displayed...
You are now ready to upload your web site... Click the 'Close' button to return to the main screen.
Uploading your website
From the main screen in ezimerchant Professional click the 'Publish' option. The following screen will be displayed...
Make sure your web host is selected in the list and then click 'Publish Now' as demonstrated below...
The following screen will be displayed...
Enter the username and password your web hosting company supplied and then click 'OK' to begin the upload.
ezimerchant Professional should connect to your web server and start uploading your web site.
While ezimerchant Professional is uploading the web site the following progress window will be displayed...
When the upload process is complete the following window will be displayed...
Click the 'OK' Button to continue.
Congratulations - You web site is now uploaded. You should be able to view your website in a web browser.
- The Username and password that you are asked for when uploading your web site are NOT the On Technology GTS username and password. (Unless of course you made them the same!)
- During the upload of your web site you may receive some error messages. Below is a list of common errors and solutions.
- 'Cannot Resolve Host Name' - If you receive this message then ezimerchant Professional is unable to locate your web server. This means that the 'Machine Name' that you have entered is incorrect. Please check the machine name with your web hosting company.
- 'Insufficient space to upload file', 'Disk Quota exceeded' or similar error messages - Most web servers will have restrictions on the amount of data you can upload to the server. example: Some web servers may have a 5 megabyte limit or a 10 megabyte limit. You may find that during the uploading of your web site that you receive errors similar to the error message above. If this is the case then you may have run out of room on the web server. You will need to remove files from the server manually (via a 3rd Party FTP program) or by calling your web hosting company and asking them to clean out your web server space.